Saturday, September 24, 2005

G.B.5: 9-24-87 Philadelphia Spectrum

Well, this day in G.B. History, I was at the end of my fall tour and the Grateful Dead were at the end of their East Coast Leg of the Fall Tour.

To say that everyone was tired would be an understatement.

"takes dynamite to get me up" is an apt lyric from the night before as I did need a miracle. I left College Park without a ticket because I just had to get to one more show. I got to Philly, sold some photos that I had taken from earlier in the tour, and found a ticket to the show.

Jerry's voice was shot by the middle of Touch of Gray but playing-wise he was pretty sharp. Bobby the Rock Star carried vocal duties. The High Time was nice in the first set as was the surprise Big Boss Man - my personal first. Bird Song definitely had the X-Factor flowing. Second set was a well-timed and much appreciated Box opener. Thank you Phil Lesh for bringing it all back home. Rockin' Iko and the lights were in synch with the rolling jam. "Be sure to watch your MTV" and Bobby was enjoying the ride. Crazy yellow lights and the Weir curdling yelps at the end - such a ham, but we love you all the same Bobby.

09-24-87 The Spectrum, Philadelphia, Pa. (Thu)
1: Touch> Minglewood, High Time, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Big Boss Man, Esau, Bird Song> Promised
2: Box Of Rain> Iko Iko> Bucket> Fire> Drumz> Other One> Black Peter> Throwing Stones> Lovelight E: Heaven's Door

I returned to University of Maryland campus, realized that I had missed too many classes and dropped yet another class. Too much too fast . . . little did I know that I missed spending Jewish holidays with my Dad for the last time . . . because I was too tired from three Grateful Dead concerts that immediately preceded the Jewish holidays. It was time to grow up, straighten out, and fly right, but I wouldn't realize this until a few months later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home