Sunday, September 25, 2005

100th Monkey Parable: Wikipedia Entry

So in the Wikipedia entry for the 100th Monkey, there is a discussion of how the parable has been discredited.

Geez, Ben, you mean I had to read that whole story and interview about when collective group conscious reaches a critical mass, then an idea or concept takes shape only to find that its not true about the monkey and the sweet potato? Well, not exactly. . .

I think that the moral of the story lies in "its true value and significance as a sort of "transformative myth" that encourages those who believe in it to have an optimistic view of the possibility of positive change, particularly in human society."

For almost 20 years I have believed in the parable of the 100th Monkey. While I may no longer tell the story with the Japanese monkey and the sweet potatoes, I remain firmly rooted in the optimistic belief that positive change can occur in human society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home